I finally jumped the gun and bought the FUJINON XF14mm F2.8 R yesterday. I am used to shooting with ultrawide angle lenses like the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L on full frame DSLR like the 5D Mark III, so the initial prime lenses XF prime lens like the 18mm (28mm equivalent FOV on a full frame camera) was really not wide enough. Ideally, I would like to get the XF 10-24mm, but although on the Fujinon lens roadmap, but it is unlikely that it will be available until at least 3rd or 4th quarter this year. So I finally bought the 14mm.
I have only briefly used it for a day, but I quite like it so far. So just some initial impression about this lens.
- The construction of the lens is first rate like any other Fujinon XF lens
- f2.8 aperture is good for indoor and night shots
- There is very little distortion
- Image quality seemed good
- Although it is certainly not a macro lens, but with a closest focusing distance of 18cm, the macro ability is not bad in emergency use
Here are just a few photos of the packaging, the lens itself and some test shots. All are jpeg straight out from the X-Pro1.